What Are the Indications of Gum Disease?
Commonly called periodontal disease, gum disease is characterized as an infection of the tissues that hold the teeth in their ideal positions. This disease develops because of improper dental hygiene, allowing plaque to build up and to harden. If it's not taken care of, it could result in severe issues for the gum and bone tissues that keep the teeth in place. Periodontal disease is also one of the leading causes of tooth loss in patients in Kingwood, TX. At Made Ya Smile Kingwood, TX, we perform both minimally invasive and surgical treatment options for people suffering from any degree of periodontal disease.
Symptoms of gum disease
Periodontal disease might oftentimes be hard to detect, which can make it hard to understand if you have it. Due to this, annual check-ups and professional oral cleanings are a crucial step when it comes to identifying gum disease before it advances. Some usual indications of periodontal disease are:
- Gumline recession
- Changes in tooth and jaw alignment
- Foul-smelling breath
- Pus developing around the gumline and teeth
- Missing or separating teeth
- Noticing blood while brushing or flossing
- Puffy, red, or sensitive gums
For those who live in Kingwood, TX and believe that they could have gum disease, our professional dentists will help you address it before it worsens to more severe phases.
Phases of periodontal disease
Gum disease has three phases:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis, the initial stage of periodontal disease, is caused by a buildup of plaque, impacting just the gum tissues. In this phase, the bone tissues have not been harmed, so gum disease is still reversible.
- Periodontitis: In this phase, whatever problems to the gums and bone that keep your teeth in place is not curable. Dental pockets might also develop underneath the gumline, gathering food particles and bacteria. Periodontal maintenance treatments paired with effective toothbrushing habits will help prevent further problems.
- Advanced periodontitis: The final stage of periodontal disease occurs when the infection has resulted in harmful bacteria. This stage necessitates laser therapy or periodontal surgery to clean regions of bacteria beneath the gumline. In the event that advanced periodontitis is not treated, wiggling or missing teeth, gum recession, and other serious problems will occur.
Ultimately, addressing periodontal disease quickly is critical. At Made Ya Smile Kingwood, TX, we show our patients proper dental hygiene practices to let them prevent the development of this serious oral health problem.
Solutions for periodontal disease
The treatment selected for you will be decided by the severity of your condition. Taking care of gum disease as soon as possible can lessen deterioration and any need for surgery. The ambition of any gum treatment is to restore the state of your gums. Several of the most common gum procedures provided at our Kingwood, TX facility consist of:
- SRP (scaling and root planing) treatments: SRP is the least invasive treatment that eliminates tartar around the gums and creates a smoother root surface. Removing bumpy areas lets our qualified team get rid of bacteria and generate a smooth surface for the gums to reattach easily.
- Gum lift: To complete this treatment, the gums are raised so buildup can be easily accessed. The gums are then set so the tissue rests snugly around every tooth. This will decrease the space between the gum tissues and teeth, which deters bacteria from gathering again.
- Soft tissue and bone grafts: Gum tissue and bone grafts make use of a portion of the patient’s native bone or donor bone to replenish bone that was affected by the progression of gum disease, which will enable the teeth to be more secure. Soft tissue transplants are provided to reinforce thin gums, as well as to target places where gum deterioration has occurred.
- Crowns, bridges, or dentures: When tooth loss occurs, we offer many of restorative dentistry options, such as crowns and implants, to enhance the look of your smile.
Find out more about gum disease care in Kingwood, TX
If left untreated, periodontal disease can progress to more dangerous problems. At Made Ya Smile Kingwood, TX, our professionals work with individuals to help them improve their gum health. To find out more facts about gum disease treatments, or to set up an exam at our office, contact our team.